Frequently Asked Question
How can I mention and notify someone in my posts and comments?
Last Updated 7 months ago
By so-called "mentions" you can notify users in the network in your posts and comments.
What's the use of mentions?
- If a user A (called "Alice") mentions user B (called "Bob") in her post or comment, Bob gets a notification.
- Currently, mentions are the only way to specifically notify users within the network.
- Mentions in comments are helpful if there is already a thread of comments. A mention makes it clear to whom the message is addressed.
How to use a mention:To mention a specific user you need his or her unique user name. We explain the difference between a profile name and a unique user name to you in this FAQ.
- Put your cursor into your post or comment where you want to add the mention.
- Type the at sign (@) on your keyboard and add the user's unique user name. Don't find the at sign on your keyboard? Check our this page on Wikipedia.
- Add the unique user name of the user you would like to mention. Matching user names appear on typing.
- Click the required user name (or press the Enter key if the name is highlighted) and the mention prefixed by an @ sign will be added as a link to the user's profile page.
- After saving your post or comment the mentioned users will get a notification (→ FAQ).